Bamboo is a fascinating plant. Below are some of the most interesting facts about bamboo.
1. Bamboo is not a tree. It is actually a grass.
2. Bamboo has been reported to grow as much as 39 inches in a little as 24 hours.
3. Bamboo releases 35% more oxygen than the equivalent amount of trees.
4. There are over 1,450 species of bamboo.
5. Bamboo grows on every continent except Antarctica.
6. Because it is naturally anti-bacterial and anti-fungal, bamboo does not require fertilizers nor pesticides for successful growing.
7. Bamboo has a higher tensile strength than steel. It’s tensile strength is 28,000 lbs per square inch, whereas steel's tensile strength is 23,000 lbs per square inch.
8. Thomas Edison's first successful light bulb used a bamboo filament.
9. Alexander Graham Bell made the first phonographic needle out of bamboo.
10. More than one billion people in the world live in bamboo houses.